Top UPS battery backups to check out
Battery backup systems are devices set up where the primary power source becomes unavailable. This can happen due to a power cut, a circuit failure, or any other related reason. The solution is available in various forms, from single-cell backup batteries used in computers to more advanced versions installed in large facilities with separate battery rooms, generally provided for data centers. The UPS (uninterrupted power supply/source) is an alternative to the usual battery backups.
Uninterrupted power supply/source – What it means
The UPS system activates automatically when the main power source becomes defunct. This source is distinguished from the other backup systems in that it provides almost instant protection from any interruptions due to power failure. This is made possible with the help of the pre-stored power in its battery packs.
Apart from this convenience, UPSs also help shield appliances from any spikes of voltage that might occur. Usually employed to protect electrical and telecom equipment, these devices come in various sizes. Allowing electronic gadgets to function smoothly without any work loss, UPSs recover their energy stock as long as the utility power is functional. This helps maintain its energy stores, providing optimal support for a long time.
Its main role
The UPS has the main role of bridging the power gap between the failure and the backup. This warrants that the system be extra sensitive to any power variation, be it voltage fluctuations or full-out power cuts. This especially makes UPSs instrumental in areas with rampant power cuts or a generally unstable power supply.
This is why these devices are installed between the main power source and the appliances and equipment. This presence would make it the first point of contact when the electricity goes out and would also enable it to restore the power backup while the main line is on.
Where are UPSs used?
Now that you know what UPSs are, it will be helpful to know the areas where they are most commonly used. These include hospitals, burglar alarms, and power stations.
- Hospitals: While normally a power cut is nothing to worry about, in places like hospitals and intensive care units, the time it takes for a device to reboot following even a slight current fluctuation can become a matter of life and death.
- Burglar alarms: In areas where the UPSs are powering surveillance systems, including cameras, microphones, etc., the event of a power failure can be better dealt with. Even if the electricity is cut deliberately, these devices will keep the alarms active, thereby maintaining the safety walls.
- Power stations: Power failure in power stations would cause a general blackout and lead to significant and, at times, irreversible damage to the generators.
Top UPS choice for 2023
In 2023, there are mainly two brands ruling the UPS market. Some of their best-selling models are discussed here:
- APC: With models like the APC BGM1500 Gaming UPS, the APC UPS, the 1500 VA Sine Wave UPS, and the APC 2200 VA Smart-UPS with SmartConnect, UPSs from this brand will meet any criteria for powering your home safely through their holistic bundles. They also accommodate what you spend most of your time on, including gaming and other long-term activities on electronics.
- APC BGM1500 Gaming UPS: With a loading time of 4 minutes and 7 seconds for 900 watts, the main input voltage utilized by this UPS is 120 volts with the same output. The device uses six NEMA 5-15R and four NEMA 5-15R surge connection types.
- APC UPS, 1500VA Sine Wave UPS: Providing ultimate battery backup and shielding against power surges, this sine wave UPS is suited for small office devices, home appliances, and equipment used for networking and gaming. The added advantages of this model are the USB power slots, heightened runtime, and sinewave outputs for essential electronics.
- APC UPS 2200VA smart-UPS with SmartConnect: As the name suggests, the SmartConnect feature of this UPS provides innovation through monitored functioning with auto notifications, advanced support services, and firmware updates. This model comes with a three-year warranty for repairs and replacements for the body and two years for the battery alone. Also, this UPS device complies with the Energy Star Program requirements.
- CYBERPOWER: CyberPower provides a smart and safe solution to all your power needs through its intelligent UPS models that take special care to protect your home from the adverse effects of power fluctuations. Top choices among the CyberPower models include the CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD PFC Sinewave UPS and the CyberPower CP1500AVRLCD Intelligent LCD UPS System.
- CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD PFC Sinewave UPS: This Sinewave UPS comes with a total capacity of 1000 W or 1500 VA. Working through a Line Interactive Sine Wave, the device produces an output of 120 Vac 5% through a NEMA 5-15P, five-foot cord. This UPS uses SNMP, USB, and relay modes to communicate with connected devices. This device is ENERGY STAR certified and comes with a 3-year warranty.
- CyberPower CP1500AVRLCD Intelligent LCD UPS System: This model provides coaxial and Ethernet data line protection and a 3-year warranty. This intelligent LCD UPS system has a capacity of 1500 VA or 900 W through simulated sine waves. This mini-tower device protects computers, networking devices, home entertainment systems, and workstations against power surges. This is further complemented by the battery backup, which becomes significant, especially in areas with frequent power fluctuations.